Monday, May 19, 2014

Girl POWER!

LIVING LIKE A POEM

On Monday, April 7th I attended a book launch event for one of the greatest writers of our time, Pearl Cleage. Her new masterpiece, “Things I should have told my daughter: Lies, Lessons, and Love Affairs”, is a collection of her past journal entries dating back to the 1970s and 80s. This beautifully compiled work provides a magnified view of what she learned in the years passed. She strategically placed each entry to create a look into the good, the bad, and the ugly in regards to career, relationship, and lifestyle choices. From loves lost to juicy political secrets, Mrs. Cleage reminds readers that within a singular life’s journey are many stories that define the whole person. Creatively Mrs. Cleage defies the norm and equates to mere generous in her unapologetic feminist dialect, fearlessly approaching her craft with honesty.


 

I sat in awe listening to Mrs. Cleage read page after page of shear brilliance. I wrote down a quote from the book that changed my perspective of love and how I live everyday. I found that I don’t always let loose and love freely. It may be hard to believe that one statement could make me reach a philosophical revolution, but the truth is, it’s always more fun living in the moment than planning, closing your eyes and jumping instead of remaining on the ground, and even loving out loud rather than pouring your inner most feelings out silently on paper or in my case in a dance.

 

“Sometimes it’s more fun to be a poem than to write one.” –Pearl Cleage, Things I should have told my daughter: Lies, Lessons, and Love Affairs”

 

 

Things I should have told my daughter: Lies, Lessons, and Love Affairs is a work of art intended for a variation of audience members. Pearl Cleage oozes Girl Power, I’m just here to make everyone else aware of it. Until next time, TOOTLES!

 

Lyrric Cosby Jackson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment