Thursday, March 27, 2014

Does Color Matter? Part II

 Why skin color does matter. Part II
 
This article will focus other cultures not being receptive of us and the famous Kanye West and his fiancée Kim Kardashian's Vogue. Are American Whites still are not receptive of us?



Growing up in a household with parents and siblings I saw love from my parents so it was hard for me to see in the real world as I got older. 

For example, A few years ago I was at a 75% white public university.  This one semester I encountered a professor who had a problem with me since day one.

For college students, I am sure you know how some professors are anal about having cell phones out during their class. This one particular day class was over with and a friend of mine was asking the professor about the homework assignment. While I pulled out my phone to check the time because I was hungry. He grabbed my wrist and threw my phone down and said your damn phone up. In five seconds, a lot went through my head should I hit him, do I go off, or do I walk away?

 Well, my ancestors would be proud of me because I walked away. He wanted a reaction out of me but I didn’t let my guard down. I ended up dropping the class and I got a brand new Blackberry; thanks to the university. I personally felt like he wanted to me react to him. I walked away and NEVER went back to his class again. There are a few things I learned from that situation
It is okay to walk away from a heated situation, I'll look at my phone after class is over with (depends on the professor)
 
Kim and Kanye (pictured above)

I am so tired of people being negative about the Vogue cover. I heard that people were threatening to cancel their subscription. Really! Canceling your subscription over the cover of Vogue. According to Vogue “who can you trust to curate the conversation surrounding fashion and culture” The lighting, color and the direction is flawless and tells the story of fashion and culture.  

This goes back to my earlier example of whites are still not respective of color being on the center of attention. If the magazine put a white couple on the front page then there wouldn’t be any threatening of canceling subscription.

 This is beyond me and more than ignorant. It’s pathetic that celebrities are being criticize because of this society that only wants a certain type of person on the cover. I am learning that people are concerned with everybody business instead of their own. The world would be a better place if people worked hard just like Kim and Kanye. For those who are canceling their subscription, Vogue would not suffer. I am sure this will be the highest selling issue of all time. LET THEM LOVE!
 
This post is an opinion post and not the views of Bars and Warfare.

Author RJ Jones
 
 
Source: http://www.vogue.com/press/

No comments:

Post a Comment