Sunday, March 30, 2014

High Achievement

 Matter of the Minds!

A Doctorate degree should be more than just achieving two letters in front of your name.  Many potential students do not realize that working towards a dissertation is continued work. 



 A dissertation is a multifaceted research project.  There have been a sizeable number of Doctoral students who have completed their coursework, passed their comprehensive exams, but NEVER have completed their dissertations.  You may wonder how this might happen.  For example, were these students who did not complete their dissertations really scholarly imposters who did not possess sufficient knowledge and skills?  The question is what can Doctoral students do to avoid this happening?

First you have to successfully complete all required coursework.  Secondly you have to take the comprehensive exams which covers all of the coursework from day one.  From what I have been informed from faculty as well as Doctoral students, it is probably the most challenging, intense moments in your life.  Failing the comprehensive exam(s) is NOT an option.  If you do not have the tools and resources in the beginning of the Doctoral program you will not succeed in completing the comprehensive exams!!  Then, there is the dissertation phase of the program.  This is when the umbilical cord is detached and you are left to research all alone.  You will not be completely alone, you will have your Chair Committee, other faculty members and not to forget your Doctoral community.
 
Keep in mind, I am a first year Doctoral student at Argosy University, a small private institution in Atlanta.  Taking the step of even considering my education and its direction was definitely a process.  The process was exactly one year.  I kept contemplating if pursuing yet another degree would benefit me personally and professionally.  There were so many decisions that had to be made, so little time.  If anyone would have told me that academically I would be in this particular space, I would have laughed.  I have always been a strong advocate for education.  There was a time when among African Americans, education was taboo. 

 There have been so many before us that made it possible to pursue education. As I‘ve gotten older, I realized my purpose.  My purpose is to encourage, motivate and build individuals for academic success.  Being an Educator is the main reason for pursuing this Doctorate of Education in Organizational Leadership.  There is such a gap between education and recidivism and I want to bridge that gap with further research.

When I mention that gap in research between education and recidivism, I speak from a place of being an employee with the Department of Corrections.  I have found that there are not enough education based programs that will assist in recidivism.
 
Since being in the Doctoral program, I have seen how the challenges differ from that of Undergraduate and Graduate School. When completing coursework previously, your opinion and your perspective mattered.  In the Doctoral program, your opinion does not matter.  Everything depends on the research and your findings.  Another challenge I faced was that of my writing.  Writing on the Doctoral level is totally different.  Your critical thinking plays a major role in how your extract information from empirical reviewed articles.  Citing materials are crucial to how you support your findings.
 
I have suggested to those who are furthering their education to take advantage of all resources.  For instance, get acquainted with your university/college library.  Get to know the faculty on a first name basis.  The writing lab is MY best friend.  Of course you will get feedback from your professor(s) but when in doubt, take advantage of the writing lab in your campus library.
 
A Doctoral community is detrimental to completing coursework and even preparing for your comprehensive exams.  I had to swallow my pride and realize I cannot get through this program alone.  I needed the help of my peers for encouragement and support. With that being said, it takes a village to complete the Doctorate program.
 
In closing, I want to say that being a Doctoral student has definitely given me a certain respect from others.  It has definitely challenged my critical thinking and has made me realized how lucky and fortunate I am to be pursuing something so awesome and so rewarding. 

Author Darrell Reid 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment