Thursday, April 3, 2014

Left behind

 

THE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE



On my journey to work this morning, I was in serious thought.  The thoughts running through my mind reflected on the future of our children, the future of education.  One thing that bothered me the most was the “NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND” theory.  What exactly does this theory mean?

The “NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND” was supposedly designed to make sure all children have equal education and the opportunity to move forward through academic challenges?  Yes, I stated in the form of a question.  I am perplexed because if a child is going from Grade 3 to 4 without the foundations that are supposed to be set by educators, are they NOT left behind.  If a child is continuously transitioning from one grade level to another without the proper guidance, how lost will they be as adults.  I am really trying to wrap my mind around this concept.  

When I was an Undergrad student, I had a work study job at an elementary school (which will remain nameless).  I realized how those kids were being slighted and how the educators were honestly, there for a paycheck.  I could count on one hand the number of educators that had the passion for building the students for success.  Being a male, I realized that there's a need for educators. There is not a high population of male educators.  In a conversation with the only male educator in the school, he gave me a few reasons why the male educator population is low.  Mr. X (educator’s real name will not be used) informed me that the “sign of times” changed how males approached education.  Mr. X’s explanation by that statement was that an educator’s approach to structure, organization and discipline had been compromised.  Educators are limited to how they speak to students, how they interact with students, and how they discipline students.

As a 2nd grader in elementary school, I can remember my teacher’s name, her name was Annie Daniels.  She had to have been about 50ish (at that time).  Ms. Daniels was one of those “old school” educators.  Keep in mind, when I was in elementary school, teachers had the power to paddle. If you don’t know what paddling is, it’s basically “getting a spanking by your teacher”.  During my elementary school years, teachers gave a damn about YOU as well as the educational foundation they established.  To this day I think about how lucky I was to have such caring, understanding and respected educators.  Please understand that I am not saying that they don’t exist right now.  I am just starting to believe they are slowly becoming extinct.

As far as this “NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND” theory, I just want all children to get the same level of education.  It takes a village to raise a child and obviously some of the villagers have left the building.  My whole purpose of working towards my Doctorate is so that it will be a vehicle for me to enter education full throttle.  Our children deserve to learn.  Our children deserve to be giving all the tools and resources that will help them lay down the foundation for their future.

 

WAKE UP AND LET’S GET OUR CHILDREN EDUCATED!!!!! TEACH THEM WELL AND LET THEM LEAD THE WAY.

 

AUTHOR  D. REID

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment