Saturday, April 12, 2014

Young King

The Young King Drizzy Has Spoken



4:34 am my cell phone rings, on the other end Drizzy himself. Not surprised at the late phone call, his schedule is pretty crazy. We only have friendly convos every blue moon due to his grind, the young Grammy Award Winner has to hustle to continue his constant release of new material and art. Drake the Rapper and Actor are a totally different persona from Aubrey Drake Graham the man. He's balanced, not as sensitive as people may think and super private. Which I can respect, the more mystery the better in hip hop. He politely asked me "what I do now, you said you had some questions for me". I laughed and replied I wanted to interview you for the "Bars and Warfare Blog". His reaction was of silence. I then said no worries, no gossip or foolishness, most dependently no rumors. He then gave a sigh of relief, as I began to ask him is it okay to do this interview? Drizzy said shoot mane! I was automatically game and ready to put my journalism skills to use. Although I haven't used them since my college years I jumped right into the questions I felt were what people would want to know about him. 


I asked graham is film or acting more of a challenge for you over music. He replied that music is an art that is constantly evolving where as current time changes with hours in a day a phrase or a visual look can be lame extremely fast. So as an actor a role is pretty consistent you know the layers of that character and being filmed is easy when you execute the dialogue appropriately. Music has an expression that is more personal and creative because it's all on you as an artist. The challenge comes when you question your heart as well as your art, music is the challenge but a good one.


I noticed a passion in his voice while talking about his music and of course his acting chops. I asked him my next question which was who influenced him musically. Drake laughed, and then stated that Kanye West, Jay-Z, Aaliyah and his mentor Lil Wayne are his biggest influences. His respect for Beyonce is at an all time high, Her work ethic is an amazing experience, she's like a queen in many ways, very strong on what she wants from you as a creative vessel, not a writer, not a singer, not a rapper, nor a producer but an artist. Drizzy then refered to Kanye West as one of his idols and favorite rappers in hip hop. He expanded on this by commenting in an interview with MTV: "I can never sit here and tell you that's not one of my idols, that's not one of my favorite rappers. Whatever energy I've ever felt is irrelevant. When you ask me, 'What do I think of Kanye West,' I'mma always have something positive to say." Graham then expressed that media can over dramatize someone's character and sell it as the truth, Kanye is one of the greatest artist of our time. It's hard for me to say I'm the Best in this game and not acknowledge the talent that inspired me. Drake's musical abilities have often been compared to West. He commented on this by saying, "It's an honor, when I was a kid trying to figure out what I liked, it was 'Ye who I related to the most. He was an artist, in every sense, from his cover art to his music. Now, I would say, he is really great, competitor...and friend, at the same time. My goal is to surpass everything he's accomplished. I don't want to be as good as Kanye, I want to be better." 


The 27 year old Star grew up between Vancouver, Canada and Memphis, Tennessee, which explains the southern drawl in most of his music.  His mother is Jewish and his father a southern Black American, putting him squarely in Baptist country also considered the Bible Belt. In Judaism, religious heritage is passed down through the mother and Drake has claimed being Jewish, he's even had a Bar Mitzvah and celebrates most major Jewish holidays with his mother. The Hip Hop star is giving in all circumstances, in Atlanta Ga December 2013 Drizzy sent several hundred copies of his Album as a donation to a nonprofit that catered to children during the Holiaday season. "Giving is in his system he stated, the man upstairs knows your heart if nobody else gets you at all!" The donation made close to 1,000 teen boys very happy to receive his music as a gift within a giving season. 



 I asked him do you see yourself as a father? Graham replied can you see me as a father? I laughed and then stated of course! I believe you will be an awesome dad. I have to admit my journalism skill need some fine tuning. Drizzy laughed uncontrollably and said I think every man wants to be a father on the inside and at certain points in his life, but right now I'm having so much fun with my life and art. I'm absolutely excited for things to come in the future. 



I then asked how did hosting the Espy Awards come about? The rapper replied in a tone of excitement that I've always loved sports I rarely miss a game, and that's all sports. The opportunity was there and I was more than happy I was asked. What people may not know is On September 30, 2013, Drake was announced as the new "global ambassador" for the Toronto Raptors, thereby joining the executive committee of his hometown's National Basketball Association (NBA) team. In this role, he will help promote and serve as a host of festivities for the 2016 NBA All-Star Game, to be held in Toronto, as well as provide consulting services to rebrand the team and redesign its image and clothing line, in honor of its upcoming 20th anniversary, in the 2014–15 season. The job includes his own staff, located in an office next to that of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke. In announcing the position, Drake noted that, "obviously, I won't be able to be in the building every day but I am extremely dedicated to it...I do take it very seriously as a new job and a new chapter in my life." 



With 4 albums, 3 headlined tours, 10 BET Hip Hop Awards, over 130 episodes of television filmed and other countless accolades. Aubrey Drake Graham is more balanced than you think as well as distinguished in his own right as an actor and hip hop star. His advice to new artist and actors is simply to grind. Working your craft of creativity is the only way to succeed in what ever you want to do. The Grammy Winner stated that I was in the studio everyday, 2 Chainz was too! The work paid off tremendously. I am grateful for all my gifts in this life and humbled within it, that's all me for real. 


Author Bj Jackson






 




 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment