Monday, April 21, 2014

Teachings of life

Life's lessons are to build you up to create and perform you own life's work. 



Actor, Poet, and Former Professional Athlete Omari Latif Hardwick grew up in Decatur, Georgia. His parents gave him a name to set a precedent – “Omari” means “most high,” and “Latif” means “gentle.” “I, in no way, believe that I am the highest or most high, but I feel like my name gives me something to strive for,” says Omari.

Growing up, sports were everything to Hardwick, but he still had a passion for the arts. By the age of 14, Hardwick was writing poetry on a regular basis, a passion he would carry with him into adulthood. In high school, he excelled at basketball, baseball, and went on to play college football. Although a star on the field, Hardwick never gave up his passion for acting, and even minored in theater in college.

“I hugely attribute sports to my success in entertainment business,” says Omari. “Being on the field taught me dedication and discipline. I already came from a strict household when I was growing up, and sports just took that to another level. Whenever I approach a set, I always feel as though the cast, crew, director, are all part of a team. I have always married athletics and art, two huge parts of my life.” After graduating from college, Hardwick relocated to San Diego for a spot on the San Diego Chargers (NFL). However, a knee injury cut his football career short. Despite this setback in his sports career, his acting career continues to shine. Omari has been featured on numerous TV shows, including Saved and Dark Blue. He’s also appeared in several films, including Spike Lee’s Miracle at St. Anna, The A-Team, Kick-Ass and other blockbuster films. Omari currently appears on the hit BET series, Being Mary Jane. He has also written over 4,000 poems and also a strong force in Atlanta metro area schools. 





Having a carefree conversation with Omari via FaceTime I lead up to asking a few more questions for the blog. I let him know immediately that it was strictly for social clarity and understanding of life situations. He then said will you pulled my arm, giver me the questions. I than began to ask, how many auditions did it take to land a role you truly wanted to play. His reply was countless, I had a vision in my mind that my art or work will be purposeful and meaningful in film. What's your favorite food I asked? Hardwick laughed and responded with the statement, "my fav foods are so bad for me" but he finally said baked macaroni. What life lessons can you give to help anyone who would need life guidance on the path of self clarity? 

Omari’s Life Lessons

Teamwork
Life requires a unique brand of teamwork. When you’re a part of a team, understanding your role and trusting your teammates to know their role is critical.

Perseverance
Life provides a variety of challenges that will test (and help to build) your perseverance. You will sometimes lose a battle, and you will sometimes have to deal with situations that will challenge you emotionally, physically and mentally.

Discipline
Life requires the player to discipline themselves and to work hard. There is also a beautiful life lesson in the scrutiny and evaluation process.
 
Author Bj Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment